Free UK Delivery On All Orders Over £100, Or Click And Collect

Chateau Durfort-Vivens `Les Plantes` de Durfort-Vivens Margaux 2019

New Arrival

Bordeaux Collection by Philglas & Swiggot

  • Size: 750ml
  • Vintage: 2019
  • ABV: 13,5%
  • Origin: Margaux/Bordeaux/France
  • Grapes: 88% Cabernet Sauvignon/10% Merlot/2% Cabernet Franc


Château Durfort-Vivens owes its name to the Durfort de Duras, a powerful family in the South West of France that came to Margaux in the 14th century. In 1824, the Viscount of Vivens' name was added to that of Durfort. The 1855 classification ranked Durfort-Vivens as a Second Cru Classé..

Located in the communes of Margaux, Cantenac and Soussans, the Durfort-Vivens vines are planted on hilltops made up of deep, poor gravel. The gravel was deposited by successive riverbeds of the Garonne in the Quaternary period. This magnificent terroir enables an early optimal ripening of the Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, allowing a full expression of the finesse and silkiness of the tannins, resulting in the freshness and elegance characteristic of a great Margaux. All vineyard work is done by hand at the beginning of the vegetative cycle. Pruning is adapted to the vigour of the vine, with the removal of excess buds, shoots and leaves. This brings richness, concentration and complexity to the grapes. Gonzague Lurton, head of the estate, introduced organic farming and the vineyards are in conversion to Biodynamic since 2009.

Chairman of the Margaux Wine Syndicate, Gonzague said, "Like many of the other vineyards in Bordeaux, the Margaux appellation produced one of those rare wines in 2009 that will go down in legend. Without going back too far, the wonderful vintages of 2000 and 2005 come to mind. And a study of the data shows that such a comparison may well be justified. For all three of these harvests, the ripening process was very similar, particularly after July. On tasting, the wines suggest a compromise between the terrific class of 2000 and the power of 2005: a style of vintage in which the wines of Margaux are incomparable."

The 2019 vintage in Bordeaux was notable for its changeable weather from budburst all the way through to the end of the harvest. Winter and spring were relatively mild, with budbreak occurring earlier than usual at the beginning of April. Heavy rains during June were followed by a period of drought that lasted up to mid-October, resulting in a reduction in yield of around 10%. 2019 will be remembered as a winemakers' vintage, where vigilance in the vineyards and on the sorting table was key to success.

Upon arrival at the winery, the hand-harvested Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc grapes were destemmed and underwent a rigorous sorting by individual berry. Fermentation took place in temperature-controlled stainless-steel tanks with indigenous yeasts and minimum intervention. Following fermentation, the wine was aged for 16 months, 80% in clay amphorae, the remaining 20% in oak barrels.

Deep ruby in colour. On the nose, aromas of ripe black fruits are married with a subtle spiciness and chocolatey hints. Velvety tannins coat the palate and a bright acidity carries the complex flavours onto the lingering finish.