Bodega Vega Sicilia began their tale in 1864 with vine cuttings from grape varieties brought back from Bordeaux by the founder, Don Eloy Lecanda y Chaves. They included Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Malbec.
He planted the cuttings alongside Spain’s favourite variety Tinto Fino (a clone of Tempranillo). The site was deep in the Ribero del Duero, a 100 miles north of Madrid in the Duero river valley on the high remote plateau of Castilla Leon. The site lent itself to the perfect Mediterranean climate, giving cool nights and hot days, a recipe for high quality grapes.
Since their meagre beginnings, the story of the Vega-Sicilia house has spanned decades, even centuries but the modern day incarnation has brought together the past and future, bringing a wealth of knowledge and understanding to their craft, resulting in wines of incredible precision and depth which are among the most sought after from all of Spain. We have the pleasure of offering our small allocation to our valued Philglas and Swiggot customers.