Uruguay is fast becoming one of the most notable wine countries of Latin America. On the same latitude as Argentina, South Africa and New Zealand, the country benefits from a temperate climate and is highly influenced by the Atlantic Ocean.
Bodega Garzón is a family-owned winery in Maldonado on the Atlantic coast in southern Uruguay. They pioneered viticulture in this area over 10 years ago, and have since become the standard bearer for premium wines from Uruguay. Bodega Garzon is built on a specific type of granite soil, called ‘Balasto’ and it is located only 11 miles from the Atlantic Ocean. This type of soil is energetic and has lots of minerality, tension and elegance, which is reflected in their wines.
In November 2018, Garzón's pioneering status was recognised by Wine Enthusiast with the ‘New World Winery of the Year’ award. The vineyards at Bodega Garzón are a patchwork quilt of 1,150 individual plots of around 0.2 hectares in size, each plot carefully chosen for a specific variety according to its soil and microclimate. The winery is specially designed to operate as sustainably as possible, and is the first winery outside North America to pursue LEED certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design). Built on natural terraces, the winery uses cutting-edge technology and operates using a gravity system to ensure quality and energy efficiency at every stage of production.
The hand-harvested grapes were fermented in 80 hectolitre cement tanks. 80% of the wine was matured in cement tanks, with the remaining 20% aged for three to six months on the lees in untoasted French oak barrels for added complexity.
'This has pale golden colour with silver tinches and oily tears in the glass; on the nose this is nothing like you'd expect from a Spanish Albarino! Ripe apricots and peach, honeysuckle and orchard blossom along with hints of bees wax and subtle baking spice; On the palate this is dry and full-bodied with medium plus acidity and an almost oily texture; candied lemon skin, ripe peach and granny smith along with some exotic mango and papaya finishing with white pepper spice and some salinity. An excellent wine to match seafood starters.' Anja Breit, Philglas & Swiggot.