The history of Chateau Mauvesin dates from the 15th Century. It was in 1457 that Jean de Foix Grailly became proprietor of the first Chateau de Mauvesin (for there will be two) in the district of “Moulis en Médoc”. At this time it was a true fortified castle with towers, battlements and arrowslites. Fifty years later it was acquired by the family de La Rivière and then through the marriage in 1582 of Marguerite de La Rivière with Jacques Le Blanc, who thus became “seigneur” of Mauvesin.
Having built the chateau in 1853, the Marquis Lodoïs Le Blanc de Mauvesin died in 1884 leaving no direct heirs. He decided to leave his patrimony to his first cousin, Hyppolite de Baritault du Carpia, his closest relative.
Mauvesin Barton has 51ha of vineyard. The property was bought in 2011 by Lilian Barton of the Barton family of Châteaux Léoville and Langoa Barton in Saint Julien together with her husband Michel Sartorius. Following completion of her studies in Dijon their daughter Mélanie returned to help with the new project in 2013 and alongside cellar master Bruno Petit set about improving the vineyards and winemaking.
This estate has been fully renovated and is now producing attractive wines. This vintage is rich in black fruits, full-bodied and luscious. The tannins are present in the structured background."
-Wine Enthusiast, 92/100 Points
- Size: 750ml
- Vintage: 2019
- ABV: 13%
- Origin: Moulis-en-Medoc
- Grapes:Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon/Cabernet Franc