Domaine Berthaut began in the late Eighteenth Century when the father of François Berthaut purchased a few hectares of vines in Fixin at 9 Rue Noisot. Firmin Berthaut (1845-1920) acquired the property from François, followed by Bernard Berthaut (1879-1913). Bernard unfortunately died at the young age of 34 bequeathing the Estate to his 11 year old son Guy, so his wife Jeanne operated the business until Guy was old enough to accede. Guy took hold of the estate in 1930 at the age of 18. The wines at this time were mainly sold in bulk to the wholesale trade. Guy had plans to expand the business, which he did by purchasing the family house at 18 Rue Noisot and acquiring Premier Cru vineyards in Gevrey – Chambertin through “Métayage” (Share-Farming system). Following the Second World War, Guy began to bottle the Domains wines under their own name and in doing so developed a good market in the United States. In 1974 Guy’s two sons, Vincent and Denis, took over the Domaine from their father (1912-2009). During their career, Denis (Oenologist) and Vincent began to expand the Domaine further by purchasing village and premier cru vineyards in Fixin. A large modern barrel hall was built underneath the winery in 2005 to help enable slower premier aging of the wines. Denis Berthaut is married to Marie Andrée Gerbet (Domaine François Gerbet in the Vosne-Romanée). In 2013 the daughter of Denis and Marie-Andrée, Amélie, graduated from the University of Bordeaux (Engineering, Viticulture-Oenology) and inherited her father’s vineyards and mothers share of the Gerbet vineyards, founding Domaine Berthaut - Gerbet.
From ten different parcels in the village. This is so Gevrey, rounded and juicy, with a touch of liquorice and spice. There’s really nice ripeness to the fruit, lovely density, energy and length.